Sunday 13 March 2011

Type Research

During my Observation and Communication module which ran alongside this project, we had to produce our own hand-drawn type. I decided to use these skills when choosing my type, as to allow me to create a type which is personal and suitable for the poster. I first began with choosing a generic font to use as a starting point. I decided to use "Franklin Gothic Medium" as it is a simple yet elegant font. I felt this highlighted the modern aspects to GF Smith Paper as well as portraying an established and well recognised company. 


I first began by using a black pen to produce inside and outside fills. Here I experimented with a leaf style pattern, a scruffy scribble style, and then using lines to surround and emphasise the text. Although these ideas followed the idea of repeat and illustrated the uniqueness of the business, I felt they were not 'professional' enough to represent a respected worldwide company.
I decided to look into templates and using different materials to create a multitude of effects. The first test I used paper to stamp the paint on and a 'veiny' effect. The second test i used a sponge which produced a faded away appearance which looked vintage. I really love the outcome  of these ideas, especially the sponge effect. 
Using the cut out text I retrieved from my template I wanted to experiment with using them as stamps. The top text portrays the outcome, which was random. It portrays to me a uncontrolled situation, which does not represent the concluded overview i researched of GF Smith Paper. The second text was done by using a tooth brush. I aimed for an explosion effect showing celebrations and excitement. Although I feel this idea was achieved I am not keen on the general outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment