Wednesday 2 March 2011

Workshop: Two

During the second workshop with Richard Sweeney I was taught new simple techniques which create emphasis and texture. We were this time allowed to remove large pieces from the paper and use adhesive to join edges.




First attempt:
The concept behind this technique was pushing each fold different ways to create this 'dipping' appearance. I feel this technique could become useful towards my final sculpture due to the angular appearance presented. Perhaps could be used when twisted.




Second attempt:
Following the same principle as the first attempt, I decided to incorporate a texture to the paper and enlarge the size. I like how here the repeated pattern is not the shape, however, the simple folds given the paper to provide a texture. By doing so it has enabled emphasis to each edge and how they are bent. The photograph, I believe, has given this idea a more exaggerated and elegant feel.








Third attempt:
Looking closer at using folds to create texture in the paper i discovered a fondness to the method. Each crease softens the piece which I believe will be a beneficial concept when interpreting the repeated forms in the texture of a pine cone.






Fourth attempt:
Here I chose to test triangular shapes folded into the paper to see what feeling it produced. This piece reminds me of some of the plant research I looked into, particularly the leaves; however, appears to simple and structured for my desired outcome. Pine cones tend to present repeat randomly. I feel the appearance is to planned and perhaps too elegant to illustrate the repeat I concluded. 




Fifth attempt:
The technique here was to score arcs into the paper and fold along them creating an circular shape. I repeated three arcs of different sizes into the paper and once folded brought them together with tape to create this irregular sculpture. The soft curves and the twisting motion reminds me of the patterns I observed when using ink to see how water moves. I am also intrigued how the light shines though certain parts of this piece when being photographed. Although impressed with this technique, it does not portray the repeat i discovered in my research



No comments:

Post a Comment