Friday 4 March 2011

Repeated Forms: SKETCHES

The theme of our brief is REPEAT;
Repeat = to duplicate, recur, multiples, something that occurs again.

To help me define the repeat within a pine cone I used the photographs I collected, looking at different sizes and different angles; and produced ink drawings to visualise the repeat forms I discovered. As well, I decided to use overlays on top of my photos, allowing me to highlight the forms I discovered repeated. I aim to use these concepts to generate ideas, trailing different methods of paper manipulation to almost reproduce these sketches in a three-dimensional paper structure.






From my ink sketches a discovered not only the general repeat of the spikes, but of the overall cone shape. I concluded this concept was in repeated in all pine cones.







When using an overlay to highlight the basic repeated forms, the results showed different forms depending on the angle I was examining. However, commonly there was a circular pattern and the forms were often repeated randomly. This illustrates the natural aspect of the object which I feel necessary to portray in my designs!


No comments:

Post a Comment