Sunday 13 March 2011

Type and Sculpture : LAYOUTS

I chose to lay the text in this way as to allow each word to be successfully readable. I also decided make each line smaller the closer to the front it was as to allow a sloping affect and to increase the ability to read the information further. I used a laser cutter to provide accurate and neat type first designing the layout and type on Illustrator then transferring to Coral Draw. I am happy with the outcome, and without the use of the laser cutter I believe the smaller text will have become fiddly and perhaps have teared.

I looked at different possible layouts of text with sculpture for my final poster. Keeping each cone free from the other, I experimented with different positions to see which idea produced the greatest outcome. 






First layout:
Here I decided to use the cones on both sides of the text, arranged in different ways, however following the same idea as the text; larger at the back, gradually getting smaller. I do not like this idea; the main feature is the text in this layout, whereas I am aiming for balance between both text and sculptures. I also dislike the dead space at the back of the page. 











Second layout:
Moving on from the previous layout, I steered away from separating the text and sculptures by merging both together. I dotted the cones around the text, some even leaning on the letters. I feel this layout has not any structure to it and due to certain positions of the cones, the text is hard to read. 









Third layout:
I decided to eliminate the dead space at the back of the page which i previously disliked by placing the cones in a structured format. This brings the cones together to form one larger model, however, due not be put together by an adhesive, are still free from each other. I like the outcome of this layout; how the text is still easy to read, yet does not feel separate from the sculpture. I would like to develop how the cones are placed together further to find the best combination.  












Fourth layout:
Keeping the cones at the back, I experimented with leaning them on the letters. Personally, I think they appear like party hats which is fitting to the idea of celebration. I do, however feel the text is favoured and is greater highlighted than the cones. 












Fifth layout:
Here I decided to present the cones in ascending order, as the text does. It appears structured and controlled, and although provides a professional look, does not have that feel of "letting your hair down" and celebrating!















Sixth layout:
Following the principle of ordering the cones in ascending order, I incorporated the previous model design I was first influenced and inspired by. I believe it looks a little bland and simple and does not portray the general feeling of celebration, fun and accomplishment I desire.














Final layout:
I have chosen this as my final layout, because it combines all the aspects I loved in the previous experimentations. The use of dead space, random and fun, appearance of party hats, the cones coming together to produce one larger model whilst still not being attached, as well as, both the text and sculpture working together successfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment