Wednesday 2 February 2011

Workshop: One






First attempt:
Ok, so it looks a little bit like a screwed up piece of paper, but the concept was folding edges into the centre. Although the desired outcome wasn't achieved I feel the finished result has a unique appeal towards it. A sense of structure, which is uncontrolled.











Second attempt:
Getting there! Here I experimented with the method of scoring to create a structured curve mixed together with a very uncontrolled curve from the bending. I really like how the photograph has captured this sculpture, using the light to bounce of the curved surfaces and shadow the straight edges.








Third attempt:
I used the idea of folding edges into the centre again, using simple tabs to keep them in place. Developing the idea, I also incorporated layers, folding on top of each other. I think the sculpture presents the appearance of waves, repeating the motions of water.





Fourth attempt:
I really like this manipulation, the lighting, in my opinion has captured the desired aspects. The photograph has managed to emphasise the bottom curve and highlight the twists and overlapping of each strand. I chose to follow the theme of overlapping the pieces, drawing them into a central point. Again i believe it shows the quality of waves. I am impressed with how a simple technique can produce something so delicate.





The Favourite:
I carried on with the experimenting of overlapping, following the same structure as the previous manipulation, however, changing the qualities. I decided to use smaller strands and several more. The way each strand overlapped was not as structured and neat as the previous sculpture, however, twisted in opposing directions, intertwining around each other. I really like how tab which was hidden on the thicker strands is now showing and presenting a unique affect. this concept is also captured within the photograph via the lightening, providing shadow to emphasise the layers

No comments:

Post a Comment